A survey of more than 2000 people reveals the lack of information available about the cost of care, leading to those in need facing financial difficulty completely unprepared.
Brits underestimate costs of residential care by 62%
- 6 in 10 have not put in place any preparations for caring for a loved one, and just 7% have discussed care plans with their relatives
- More than a third of Brits would prefer a live in carer for a relative, but over 1 in 10 are unaware this is even an option
- 2 in 5 would not even consider putting a relative into a care home
Dr Jamie Wilson, CEO and founder of HomeTouch, the UK’s leading online service for finding home care, says:
The findings show just how unprepared and uninformed we are about caring for elderly relatives. Care can be an emotive topic and one that many of us understandably resist but it is best to explore options early and discuss them with your loved ones if you can. There are many routes out there and new services now offer affordable options for home care that let people stay safe and happy in their own homes, while reducing the burden on the NHS.HomeTouch is the most advanced online service for finding and retaining in-home carers for elderly people across the UK. It uses technology to match customers with local and live in carers who have the experience, skills and qualifications to suit the specific needs of their customers. HomeTouch carers have detailed profiles, with reviews and video testimonials that highlight specialised skills and characteristics. Bypassing the agency model, carers using HomeTouch are paid 75% above the average wage for carers working in the UK.
Sandy Maher, carer with HomeTouch says:
Working as a self employed carer I am happier and earn better wages than I did when I was working at a care home or through an agency. My clients and I choose each other and we negotiate my hours and rates, resulting in great long term relationships and everyone being happy with the arrangement. By having an online profile, I am able to promote myself and find great job satisfaction working with the elderly.. HomeTouch offers a solution to the elderly care crisis currently facing the UK, and we also work hard to provide the impartial advice people so clearly need to make the best decision for their family.
Find out more:
- How much does live in care cost?
- Live in care vs care home
- How much does hourly home care cost?
- What does 24-hour live in care cost in 2017?
- How much does respite care cost?